What is an Application Key?
In order to use the Betting & Accounts API, you need to have an Application Key. The Application Key identifies your API client. Two App Keys are assigned to a single Betfair account, one live App Key and one delayed App Key for testing.
You must pass the Application Key with every HTTP request. You do this by setting the HTTP header with the value of the key assigned by Betfair.
Please note: App Key generation is for personal betting purposes only. All data/API usage in any commercial context must be approved by Betfair.
Unauthorised commercial usage will be identified & blocked.
How to Create An Application Key
You can create an Application Key for your Betfair account using the Accounts API Demo Tool and createDeveloperAppKeys operation
- Click on theAccounts API Demo Tool link & ensure the the Endpoint "PROD"/"UK" is selected. link
- Select the createDeveloperAppKeys operation from the list of Operations on the top left hand side of the demo tool.
- Enter a sessionToken in the 'Session Token (ssoid)' text box. You can find instructions on how to find your sessionToken via your browser here.
- Enter your Application Name (this must be unique) in the 'Request' column. The Application Name can be any name of your choice, but like your Betfair username, must be unique.
- Press Execute at the bottom of the 'Request' column.
Two Application Keys will then be created and displayed in the Developer Apps column the demo tool
- The X-Application header is not required when using the createDeveloperAppKeys or the getDeveloperAppKeys service.
- The Application Name must be unique.
We are aware that when using some browser versions to create App Keys the Demo Tool throws an UNEXPECTED_ERROR when requesting createDeveloperAppKeys. Using an alternative browser/s should resolve this problem.
You should also ensure that your Application Name is unique as attempts to create a duplicate Application Name will return an APP_KEY_CREATION_FAILED error response.
Live & Delayed Application Keys Usage
The createDeveloperAppKeys service will assign two Application Keys (App Keys) to your Betfair account.
One 'Live' Application Key and one 'Delayed' Application Key. A Delayed Application Key is displayed as 'Version 1.0-DELAY' via createDeveloperAppKeys/getDeveloperAppKeys
Upon creation, the Live Application Key will be inactive.
- The Delayed App Key operates on the live (production) Betfair Exchange and not a testbed/sandbox environment.
The Delayed App Key should be use for development purposes and any functional testing. The key provides delayed Betfair price data. The delay is variable between 1-180 second snapshots.
- The Delayed App Key must also be used in simulation/practice applications where the facility to bet into live Betfair markets is not available.
- The Delayed App Key does not return traded volume data 'totalMatched' or EX_ALL_OFFERS via listMarketBook.
How do I activate my Live App Key?
To apply for a Live Application key please take note of the below and provide answers to the following information:
Before applying, please:
- Complete any testing using your Delayed Application key.
- Ensure that your account has been fully verified in line with our KYC policy. Please note: We do not accept licence applications from India, Bangledesh, Sri Lanka or the UAE.
- Check that your account is funded to cover the £299 activation fee.
Please note: A one-off activation fee of £299 applies; this is debited directly from your Betfair account once access is approved.
To apply for a Live Application key please contact Developer Support and provide ALL of the following information:
- Please describe why you need access to the API*
- Have you completed your coding and testing using the Delayed App Key? *
- What sports and markets will you bet into? *
- Of the markets you read, what percentage do you expect to place bets in? *
- What number of bets will you place per market? *
- Your anticipated monthly betting volume? *
- Do you work for or on behalf of a betting operator or any supplier to a betting operator, or have you in the past? If yes, please provide full details. *
- Where did you hear about the Betfair API? *
- Confirm that your App Key and access is for my own private use for the purpose of betting on the Betfair Exchange. This access will not be used in any commercial context
|Detailed Historical Data is additionally made available for testing and analysis purposes.|
Personal Betting Access - Application Key Overview
Please see below table for a summary of the data/services available to Delayed & Live Application Keys.
Delayed Application Key
Live Application Key
|Use For||Development||Live betting applications|
Live Price Data
Bet Placement (Live Exchange)
Yes (contact Developer Support)
Yes (on application)
Total Matched by Selection
|Total Matched by Market||Yes||Yes|
|BSP Far & Near Price||Not Available|| Yes|
*Delay is variable between 1-180 seconds
| || |
|Please note: We do not accept licence applications from India, Bangledesh, Sri Lanka or the UAE|
There are a number of different Commercial API licences available and these fit into the definitions below:
Software Vendor Licence
We wish to create a betting app to distribute to Betfair customers.
Please see Developer Support for further information on how to apply for a Software Vendor Licence.
Odds Publisher Licence
We are a Betfair Affiliate & want to publish Betfair odds.
If your not an Affiliate, you can apply via https://affiliates.betfair.com/ > Join Now
Betting Operator Licence
We are a licensed Betting Operator wanting to use Exchange data.
Please contact us via Developer Support for further information.